Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My first encounter with the pool...

If I were to say that I've never been very good at swimming, that would be a huge understatement. I've never really taken the time to swim before. Sure, when I was a kid we'd go to the pool and play. I even took lessons for a while, but none of it really seemed to stick.

I can hack my way through the water for 50, maybe 75 meters, but then I'm heaving at the end of the pool gasping for breath.

So today it started.  Armed with my brand spanking new gym membership and swim goggles I decided to get a little wet during lunch.  I ended up managing 400m over the 30 minutes I was there.  Basically at this point I swim one length catch my breath and then swim another.  It's time consuming, but I really haven't gotten used to the breathing thing yet.

I did 50 meters to start off with then 12 25m lengths, then 50m to close it out.  I'd say about 70% of the length was freestyle and the rest was backstroke.

I don't think I realized how much of a struggle the swim portion of the tri was going to be for me. I've got about 4 months until I toe the line.  I'm hoping 3 times a week will get me at least able to swim 800m without stopping by the time May rolls around. 

Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment