Sunday, January 25, 2009

Playing catch up

The good news is that I've been getting some good workouts in this week.  The bad news is that no one knows.  So let's do a bit of time travelling and see what I've been up to this week.

Saturday, January 17th
Bike:
During my girl's naps today I got out for a 30-mile bike ride.  It was good to get out on the road for the first time in a while.  It was also a good test of my new cold weather gear that I got.  When I left the house, it was 46 degrees.  Before I got a block I turned around and got one extra top layer, but then I was ready to go.

The first 6 miles were all city streets.  After that I spent a few miles on a trail that follows Lake Washington.  Then, I went up the hill.  (I'll spare you the gory details here, but look for them in another post.)  After 3 miles of recovering from the hill, then riding through some construction zones I got a cramp in my calf.  After a brief break to stretch I got back on the road as it was starting to cool down.  15 miles in I was 1hr 10mins.

Now it was downhill the rest of the way.  I did the next 15 miles in 40 mins (22.5 mph average! cool!) and tried to get home before my feet went completely numb.  By the time I rolled in my driveway it was 37 degrees.  The cold weather gear worked great.  The only part of me that was cold, was my feet.  It looks like some shoe covers will be purchased in the near future.

Monday, January 19th
Run:
This was a short run.  I have been focusing more on biking and swimming the last few weeks and haven't gotten the mileage in that I should.  This was the only run I did this week.  With the marathon training program coming starting in two weeks, I've got to get running some more.

In all it was 2.76 miles in 24:51.

Swim:
I did a total of 450m over 25 minutes.  Other than one 50m stretch, it was all 25m then rest.  It's a start at least...

Tuesday, January 20th
Bike:
Trainer time.  33 minutes total and just shy of 11 miles.  It's not realistic, but it gives me a chance to work on pedal speed and leg strength.

Wednesday, January 21st
Swim:
This was a good day for me in the pool.  I did 3x50m, 3x100m, then 2x25m.  500m total in 25min.  The same time it took me to do 450m 2 days earlier.  I mix a bunch of strokes still as I'm still gaining confidence in the water.

Saturday, January 24th
Bike:
It's that time of year again when I have to work on Saturdays.  So, I commuted in.  On my way in I met Wes.  He's got some big races and events coming up this year, including a 6-day mountain bike stage race and a road race that crosses the continental divide 3 times in one day!  He was a nice guy.  I had planned on riding in nice and easy, but instead picked up the pace a little to keep up.  He wasn't going terribly fast as he had at least another 50 miles to go, but it was faster than I had planned.  All in all, it was 8 miles in 35 minutes.

Swim:
Today I had a hard time in the pool.  I went 600m in 25 minutes, which is more than I've ever done, but was having a hard time breathing which is probably due to the cold I'm coming down with.  I did 3x50m, 3x100m, and 2x75m.  I still haven't successfully swam freestyle for more than 50m.  With four more months to go, I hope I still have time.

Bike:
I took a slightly different route home that ended up being 8.8 miles and took just under 40 minutes.  It's always fun to look back and see where I started.  Last summer I was struggling to make it home on that same route in 40 minutes and now I can take it slow in that amount of time.

Week in review - Total distance
Run: 2.76 miles
Bike: 27.54 miles
Swim: 1,550 meters

Next week's goals
Run: 15 miles
Bike: 30 miles
Swim: 2,100 meters

1 comment: