Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2009 Seattle to Portland

Other than the triathlon, the Seattle-to-Portland bike ride was next on my list of events I wanted to try.  This year marks the 30th anniversary of the event that raises money for group health.  For most of the 10,000 that do this ride, it is a 2 day event spanning over 200 miles between the University of Washington campus in Seattle to downtown Portland.  I will be making the journey in one day.  What a way to get started in biking!

I'm really looking forward to doing this ride, but of the events I'm getting ready for this year it's the event I'm most worried about.  A triathlon, you can always rest and keep going (especially if it's short like the one I'm doing).  A marathon, you just walk a bit and keep going.  But when you are on your bike and need to take a break, your only option is to walk which doesn't help much when you have that many miles to cover.  

The training started yesterday.  The STP website has a training schedule listed that I plan on following.  It's not an in depth program.  It just lists miles you should ride for any given day. I'll be adding hills and intervals so I can get the speed work needed for the triathlon.

The other part I'm worried about is covering that many miles in less than 16 hours.  The one-day riders start between 4 and 5 in the morning, and have to finish by 9 pm.  I'm looking at averaging 15 mph for the trip to end up which will get me there in about 14 hours.  Here's hoping. A friend of mine has said that if you can do the 100 mile route for the 7 hills of Kirkland ride then doing the STP in one day is doable.  Maybe I'll sign up for the event (I hear there is strawberry shortcake after the event!) or ride the route on my own before July.

So, if any one else is planning on signing up, better get on it.  This event sells out every year.  Is anyone else going to be there?

No comments:

Post a Comment