Monday, February 2, 2009

Recovery and the wrap-up

I'm finally over the head cold I had for most of last week.  I never came close to making my goals for last week.  No worries.  I'm not in this to beat myself up, it's just nice to have goals to push me along.

Last Thursday I hopped on the trainer for a 30min workout.  It turned out to be quite enjoyable, and difficult at the same time.  After a 5 min warm up I put it in the highest gear on front and the lowest gear on back and put the trainer on the hardest resistance.  I pedaled hard for 30 secs then moved the back gear up one, kept that going until I'd hit the top.  1 min on the highest gear, then 30 secs each on the way down.  Take about 5 minutes to recover while pedaling easy then do it again.  This could be just what I need to get my legs going.  I might just have to tackle the hill again.

Saturday found me in the pool again.  2x50m, then 2x150m, then 1x350m... what?!  For someone who had never swam (swum? I can never remember) more than 100m before this was quite the accomplishment.  Granted most of it was easy backstroke or sidestroke.  I finally decided to see how far I could go.  Not only that, but I even managed it in close to the time I have set for my triathlon goal.   Now that I know I can go that far swimming should be easier, right?

Not so fast.  Back in the pool this afternoon, but with much different results.  I think I psyched myself out.  I did 1x50, 2x75, 1x150.  That was all I could muster.  It wasn't that I was exhausted, but I was having a much harder time breathing today (more on that in another post).  I think I tried to push myself too hard and ended up exhausting myself.  Oh well...

This morning I squeezed in 2.75 miles of very easy jogging.  Legs were a bit groggy still.

Last week's stats:
Swim: 750m
Bike: 9.2 mi
Run: 3.68mi

And now that January's come to a close, here is the monthly mileage: 114.09 miles.  I use MapMyFitness to keep track of everything, and it's great.  The only downfall is that you have to pay a yearly fee to see all the stats broken down by sport.  I'll figure out a way to break them down for next month.

Goals for this week:
Swim: 1500m
Bike: 20 mi
Run: 15 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment