Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running again and defining a swim plan

I got out running this morning for the first time in a week.  It felt good.  The goal was 30 minutes at 10 min/mi pace.  In the end I went a little faster, and the legs are still feeling good tonight.  I was doing pretty good with the running until recently.  I'm in the second week of the marathon training program and need to get my game on.  The countdown until race time is around 18 1/2 weeks (I'm guessing, but I think it's close).  That means the triathlon is around 14 1/2 weeks out and the Seattle-to-Portland is 20 1/2.  Is it just me, or does that sound really close?  Of course that also means it's almost summer time!

Today's pool session was good in a couple of ways.  I came up with a new training method for the pool and will try it out over the next few weeks.  With every workout I will increase the distance I swim just using freestyle, and the distance I can swim overall.  Today I swam 50m then 75m just freestyle.  (by just freestyle I do allow myself to stop and take at most 4 side strokes to catch my breath before continuing).  My plan is to increase the freestyle distance every week by at least 25 meters.  Then increase the overall distance (without stopping) by at least 50 meters each workout.

It's not very scientific.  It probably isn't even what I need, but I am feeling stronger in the water than 2 months ago.  I know I don't have good form.  That is something I'll have to work on over the summer, fall, and winter as I get ready for a half-ironman (more on that to come!).

Any swimming tips you can offer up?

No comments:

Post a Comment